A personal brand is your distinct talents and what you represent. It is the process of unearthing your unique talents and communicating them through various mediums to the right audience.
Below, we mention a few ways in which you can best showcase yourself during the interview process:
- The first step should be to research the company that you are going to interview with. Seek out adequate information about them and prepare questions that you want to ask the interviewers.
- Come to the interview with your branding essentials. These include your business card (if any), cover letter, resume, references documents and your portfolio, if you happen to be in a creative field.
- Positive body language is what makes or breaks you. Sit up straight, have a firm handshake, smile and use eye contact during the interview. Make first impressions count and dress well.
- Use storytelling to your advantage. Don’t regurgitate facts that are on your resume and be more creative with your words. Don’t be afraid to ask questions from the interviewers. You are not the only one being interviewed!
- Display your unique personality! Show the interviewers who you are and display your interests so that your fit into the organization can also be measured.
- Talking about your unique skills and talents creates your image in the interviewer’s mind. This can help separate you from the other candidates.
- End the interview on a high note that ensures that you stand out and makes you memorable.
- Follow up after the interview. This shows you are interested in the company and are actively available to work with them.
Approach your interview differently from others by defining who you are and what you’re best at. Communicate your best skills to the interviewers and build your personal brand! It’s important to always think about how you represent yourself in each interaction.
“Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
- George Bernard Shaw